Thursday, September 27, 2012

Breaking Through...

I have never ever considered myself an "artist"...I tried many times to paint, draw or whatever "i" thought was ART as a child growing up...my mom even made me take "art lessons" way back when...i never liked it and never thought i was good at it...afterall, i had cousins that were extremely talented artists in music and art and therefore i never felt i was good enough or "as good as them"...to overcome this sense of failure in being an artist i went the way of crafts...i love working and creating with my hands and thus i played with yarn, knitting, crocheting, beading, making jewelry to melting glass and making lampwork beads...my first acknowlegement of being an artist...a glass artist or lampwork artist...oh how i love to melt glass and create beautiful little treasures of glass and then creating them into something wearable...or...seeing what others create with my little reflections of playful beads creating with hot flowing glass...


Long story short...over the last 2 years that my glass studio is no long available to me, i've been dabbling in many different artsy craftsy areas that i have always loved creating...i enjoy working with paper, fabric and yes even still love to knit and crochet...i must have my hands busy creating something...that's just who i am...it makes me - ME...it keeps me grounded...it helps keep me sane in a sometimes insane world...it soothes my soul and makes my heart happy...

Point of the title...Breaking Through...Recently i have let the gates down in my mind about being an artist and have decided to pull out the paints and pencils and start what you all call an art journal...my creativity is going wild and i just love it...i get so excited when i can actuall DRAW something that looks half way decent (i think) or even create a painting using all kinds of elements (mixed media i believe it is called)...so i have BROKEN THROUGH this barrier of not letting myself believe i can create "art" and am now slowly letting my creative juices flow in many new directions...

i'm sharing this little pencil drawing i did on my train ride home the other day...something about her makes me happy...

4 comments:

Dale Kaplan said...

There are no artist police looking over your shoulder other than that little voice upstairs that says keep on keeping it on. Say to yourself
Did I enjoy the space and time I had to be creative?
That is all that matters.
I remember my mom gave me art lessons from Mary's art studio I was around 9-10 yes old and I can remember feeling so inadequate to the other kids. It stuck with me till CCB at age 19 I finally broke through my minds eye.

K J D said...

Hi Your sketch does have a really happy feel to it... and I love your bead too. Beautiful :)

Karen

Christie Cottage said...

I am glad you expanding your horizons! If you are like me, you get tired of making the same thing over and over.

I do realize that many online shops are a huge success by being repetitive, but I like to craft, not mass produce! LOL


Throw some paint on your sketch and she will sell

<><

Krishenkas Treasures said...

Well you just keep doing what you love. I got thrown out of art classes and I can't even make a stick man look good:) I am with you Christie in that I don't like repeating the same thing over and over and continue to try and find new ways to create. I to think your sketch has a happy feel to it.

random generator

Happiness...

"Tell everyone you know: "My happiness depends on me, so you're off the hook." And then demonstrate it. Be happy, no matter what they're doing. Practice feeling good, no matter what. And before you know it, you will not give anyone else responsibility for th e way you feel—and then, you'll love them all. Because the only reason you don't love them, is because you're using them as your excuse to not feel good."

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

My Headlines

Beadmakers Blog Ring

Beadmakers Blog Ring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com